Monday, March 31, 2008

Story of my life


So when Billy gets in the car with Meg in When Harry Met Sally he starts out the ride by telling her to give him the story of her life. And she's all, we just met and its kind of long and all that stuff. And he's like so what, we have a 17 hour car ride. Well, I feel like asking people that question all the time but they never have a good answer. In case you were wanting to ask me that question at some point but haven't the nerve yet, here's a start.

I'm a closet romantic. I want to pick up the bass again. I want to play lacrosse this fall. I want to sail around the world. I want to open a store filled with the very best fruit the world has to offer and nothing else, except crepes perhaps. I design towns, furniture, etc. I want to create a botanical garden in the shape of the continents, with everything in its place...but freaking Dubai beat me to it. I love bed time and bed time stories. Trevor reads Aesop's fables to me sometimes. My dream is to open my own school (K-12), teach history and coach football. If I could have been any musician, it would have to be a toss up between Sam Cooke, Otis Redding and Jim Croce...cause Man!

I'm going to expound for a second on that fruit store. When we were little, pops would occasionally discourse at the dinner table at the geographical marvel on our plates. Grapes or SeaBass from Chile, pine nuts from Morocco, etc. Sometimes we'd pull off three or four continents on one plate. Jump. Have you ever had amazing peaches? I mean the juicy spheres of heaven that you get at roadside stands in Georgia (or Paonia, CO as I've found to my delight). You buy a box of fifty of those. They're not lasting a week. No way. So what if there was a store that had all of these different fruits of the world, picked in season from the best place in the planet for them. Underneath the basket is a little plaque talking about the place: its soil, its climate, why it is so ideal for that fruit. How awesome would that be? Yeah it'd be more expensive, we're not trying to kid anyone, but who wouldn't pay some extra dollars to eat from the closest we've got to the Garden of Eden.

No comments: